Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Wool of Wonder


Well, finally I have on my needles some Kauni! Yes! That yarn that hit the knitting world like a true Tsunami, rolling in from Europe until it finally hit our midwestern ears and eyes and we too were dazzeled by it's spell.
One of the most entrancing things about the Kauni yarn is it's color -- yep! It looks like this sweet little ball on the outside but inside.....


... it's breathing a firebrand of color that dances around and around. It is so enticing!

It took a lot of work to get the Kauni yarn in at Stitches & Scones. Really, we owe a lot to Molli who bent over backward to get us this precious commodity. I heard a lot of people are having to wait quite some time for this yarn and right now .... WE HAVE IT!

Do not let the fact that you have to use size 2 or 3 needles scare you away. There is a free pattern online for the sweater and for most people you only need 2 or 3 skeins for a sweater -- there is a lot of yardage in theses little bundles.

At first the yarn felt a little scratchy but as soon as I started working with it I felt it ease up and take on the characteristics of a little lamb -- kind of soft and fuzzy. I am really enjoying it.

But... unfortunately, my Kauni sweater is on hold for several days. I have to wait for my size 2 needles to come in. I really needed some sharp needles for this project -- there is nothing like sharp needles when working with tiny yarn!

Happy Knitting!

No comments: