Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Knitting In Public

I was just reading On the Hill this morning with my cup of tea. She mentions a recent episode where she knitting in public with a few friends. It was really quite hilarious.

It just so happens that I had an interesting "Knitting In Public" experience yesterday. My husband and I can walk to our local Starbucks. It's quite a nice walk and it's fun to do on holidays. So, with my knitting tucked under my arm and an umbrella tucked under JK's we set off.

We ordered a french press and received our two, "dining-in mugs", picked up a copy of the New York Times and settled ourselves down for a few hours of reading, knitting and sipping.

I knit without looking at my knitting -- if it's an easy piece so I would pull out a section of the paper and read while I knitting along. The times I looked up while I sipped my coffee I noticed I was getting odd looks.

After a while I finished the bits I was interested and JK started to read to me the bits we both were interested in. It was then that I started to get really really odd looks. People could not figure out whether or not I was really knitting or just pretending to knit. Women stared and men gave me quizzical glances.

But then came in incident that made my day. One particular lady was just about to step out the door with four coffees in hand when she glanced at me, hesitated (I smiled at her) and she stepped back in the door and came over.

"Can I ask you a question?" she asked very quietly.
"Sure," I said.
"I have a problem with my knitting and I don't know how to fix it. I've had to put it away for a while." She said.
"Oh, dear, that's too bad." I responded.
"I had three stitches come off the needle and then the yarn is in the wrong place."
As she spoke I let three stitches slip off my needle and put the yarn on the front side of my work.
"Yes, just like that." She said eagerly this time.
"Well, all you do is slip those three stitches back onto the left hand needle. Move your working yarn to the back and then work the three stitches again. If you have trouble getting them back onto the needle, use a smaller needle or crochet hook to pick them up and then put them onto your working needle."
"Oh, that's great." she said. "My mother taught me how to knit but she has passed away so I couldn't ask her."
"Oh, I'm sorry." I said
"Well, thank you." and she was off.

It continues to amaze me how the smallest thing can stump a knitter. It is even more amazing how people are afraid to ask for help. I love helping people with their knitting. I guess because knitting makes me so happy, I want others to experience that same pleasure!

Well, Happy Knitting Everyone!

1 comment:

Heather L. said...

Great story! You could compile a book someday of knitting stories. :)