Friday, May 29, 2009

Queen Anne's Cardigan

I adore lace shawls. They seem to evoke an era when life was slower. (Couldn't we all use a bit of that right now). When friends would gather for afternoon tea in a shady garden or dress up to hear a concert in the park.

Honestly, I long to wear a shawl dripping with delicate lace and not feel out of place. Perhaps, someday, I will be able to do that. Meanwhile, I have designed a cardigan with a deep lace collar and flowing sleeves to mimic the drape and feel of a fine lace shawl.

The lace collar and sleeves reminded me of one of my favorite summer flowers -- Queen Anne's Lace. So, in honor of that noble flower, I named this sweater, "Queen Anne's Cardigan."

And on another note -- I am offering this pattern to you free of charge. Times are tough right now and everyone's budget is a little stretched so hopefully it helps to have a free pattern.

But the one thing that I would ask is -- please purchase yarn for this sweater from your local yarn shop rather than the internet. Our wonderful local yarn shops could all do with a bit of a boost right now. So download the pattern and hit your local yarn store.

Happy Knitting!

12 comments:

Mudhut said...

Such a beautiful design. I do like to wear shawls, but find they fall off a lot and get in the way as I don't lead as genteel a life as I would like. I will try this out, and definitely buy yarn from my LYS. Lynn Cornwall, UK

Heather L. said...

It is GORGEOUS!!!!! I CANNOT wait to make one myself. :) Is that wishful thinking?

Tonia said...

Christina
I love this sweater. This will be my first sweater for the KAL. Lovely.

Mrs. MK said...

Beautiful design!

Jessica Sant said...

this is gorgeous. I found you through Lime & Violet's Daily Chum - certainly a well deserved spot light. I love that you made this a free pattern and only asked that people buy yarn from a LYS. Very nice touch.

calicokitty6 said...

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for creating this pattern. I will also shop my local LYS for yarn.

Beaweezil said...

Wow, this is totally generous of you. The design is fab. I don't have a LYS but I'll keep true to the spirit of your request and go indie?

pigbook1 said...

Oh I will definitely buy it from an LYS, this is a gorgeous pattern, thank you!

Amy K said...

How intricate and beautiful. You are amazingly talented Christian. I enjoy seeing what you design and make.

Erin C-B said...

What a glorious pattern, and what a wonderful way to support local yarn shops. :-)

Knitter said...

What a beautiful cardigan! I love it. I really want to make one for myself, but I'm not on Ravelry. Is there another way to get the pattern?

Christina said...

Hi Knitter -- right now there is not another way to download the pattern. You can do one of two things -- join Ravelry -- which is free and a great resource, or you can send me an email (found under the contact info on my blog) and I can email you the PDF! Happy Knitting!