Friday, November 13, 2009

Why Do Babies Cry?

I was dashing into the library the other day and had a funny exchange with the library clerk.

Baby John doesn't like the library for some reason. I don't know if it is the bright lights or whether he just knows he supposed to be quiet and enjoys a good roar to break the silence.

I know he hates the library so I plan my library outings very carefully. All books are selected and ordered online while he is sleeping. No browsing the books stacks for me right now.

Once the note comes from the library that the books are available I either send JK or my mom. Sometimes I have to do it myself, like today. On those occasions I plan our trip to the library to come after morning naps and also right after a feeding (when he is the happiest).

Today I followed the same routine. Nap, feed, pack into the car. Drive the 5 minutes to the library. Put him in the stroller, wheel him into the library. Go directly to the hold stacks, pick up the books and DVDs. He was fine until I reached for the first DVD, then he let out a roar. I threw the DVDs into the stroller and practically ran to the hold book stack. Threw the two books into the stroller and ran to the check out.

At the check out he was screaming and screaming and I was fumbling with my card and the books. The library clerk came over, I apologized for the "noisy patron." "Oh, don't worry. But if you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with him?" I looked at her dumbly. What's wrong with him? Probably nothing more than he hates the library, but would she believe me? No. She obviously had never had a child. Then she explained, "I only have dogs at home." Oh, yeah...

I had to laugh. I've come to learn that babies cry for a variety of reasons. Some of them are just a plain dislike of the library. Ha! Life is funny.

6 comments:

Heather L. said...

Everyone always said to me, "Oh, he's hungry isn't he?" except that it always happened in the post office. (And usually he wasn't hungry.)

Silvia M. said...

That is the funniest thing because both my boys, when they were babies, also hated the library. They would be quiet and happy and then let it all out at the nice quiet library. I wonder why that is.... :-)

Brownie Knits said...

You should have asked her what was wrong with her dogs when they randomly bark. Humans and dogs (and lots of other creatures) were made to make noise! :)

Carla said...

Too funny -- I had the same problem with Christine. I used to go at night when Jim was home with her. Next time just tell the lady that John is frustrated because he can't read yet!! He'll no doubt take after his dad as soon as he can.

Amy K said...

This brings back a distinct memory of when Meredith was about John's age and I took her grocery shopping. When my cart was half full, she started crying and screaming hysterically and I had no idea why. She would only quit when I held her. So I ended up holding my small baby, pulling the grocery cart behind me, and trying to load more groceries at the same time. Ahhh ... those frazzled moments of early parenthood. :) Such vivid memories.

I'm sure someday little John will be like his mommy and daddy, and extended family, and develop a true love of books. Then you'll have to remind him of his anti-library days. :)

Ruth MacC said...

You only find this stuff out when you have children! Sean used to wake EVERY time I sat down to eat my dinner. It always ended up in the microwave for me to eat later (which I almost never did) and I used to wonder how people retain their weight after having a baby?!!!