Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Thumb

Baby John found his thumb and oh, does he look so cute sucking it. Yes, I know, I'll have to break him of the habit later. But I was a thumb sucker as a child and I remember how comforting it can be. He'll get through that stage.

Baby John has had quite the week already. Monday morning his little cough that he had been having on and off for two weeks was decidedly worse. Still no fever. But it sounded horrid enough to call the doctor. The doctor wanted to see him immediately due to his decreased activity, sleepiness and fussiness. So in we went at their first available appointment - 3PM. The doctor was a bit concerned because he sounded so congested so she sent us off to get his little chest X-ray. That was an adventure. Fight rush hour traffic around Castleton to get back on 465, get off at Meridian, fight rush hour traffic to go the small distance to 106th Street. By the time we got to the X-ray place John was starving. Nurse in the car. Go in, try to fill out forms while he's fussing because he hasn't had a nap since 1 PM.

Thankfully he fell asleep in the car as I was on 465 driving to Marsh to get his prescription filled and thankfully the doctor called as I was pulling into Marsh to say that John did not have pneumonia. Thank goodness. BUT at the pharmacy we had trouble filling his prescription because somehow the insurance company hit the wrong button back in September and took him off our insurance. OH, MY GOODNESS.

I must have looked so tired and frazzeled checking out of Marsh because one of the store managers came up to me and asked me if I needed help getting to my car! Ha! I thought that was funny, but very sweet. I declined and managed to get everything stowed away myself.

This is Baby John's first taste of sickness and it is so sad to watch him go through it. He'll be just fine, thanks to modern medicine, a 24/7 humidifier in his room and the wonders of Baby Vicks. And of course, thanks to his little thumb he just discovered.

2 comments:

Heather L. said...

That is the cutest ever!!!

V&A said...

to Baby John:

GET WELL SOON!