Thursday, December 3, 2009

Yarn Journaling

For several years now I have imperfectly kept a yarn journal. Imperfectly because I wish I had pasted more yarn labels into my book and kept better track of the yarns I like. But you know how it is, sometimes life becomes consumed by that desire to "cast on the next project."


At other times I have done a good job and managed to past in the yarn label and a bit of the yarn before I moved onto the next knit. This little book as been so helpful as I am trying to choose yarns for the Knitting Zimmerman Project. I've been able to go back and read my thoughts about a certain yarn. Whether or not I've liked the stitch definition or not or what it does after the yarn is washed.

The boring pages are the pages I did not include yarn. I can't remember why I didn't include yarn. Perhaps I didn't have any left over. Surely not. But I've vowed never to do that again.

This is why I am a firm proponent of yarn shops putting their bar codes on the backside of the yarn label and not covering the name of the yarn or the dye lot. Both options totally ruin the yarn label in my opinion. This is also why I love pretty yarn labels and have sometimes just purchased the yarn because of the label. Yes, I know, pretty silly.

Have any of you kept a yarn journal before? If so, what are some of your favorite yarns?

No comments: