Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Fiber Fix


One of the things I love to do around my birthday is go to the Greencastle Fiber Fair. The fair has definitely dwindled in size and attendance over the years. I remember what a thriving affair it used to be 10 years ago. But... it is still one of those "spring" things to do. I missed it this year - I was doing wedding flowers that weekend and attending my friend's wedding - something not to be missed for anything in the world.

Instead I treated myself to a visit to a semi local yarn shop that I had not visited yet. With a brief stop at our local coffee shop, I packed John in the car along with my mom and sister and headed out to Nomad Yarns in Plainfield, IN. It was adorable and worth the visit (for me)!
Mad Hatter Roving from Breezy Manor

As we walked up the front porch I saw fiber through the window! I couldn't believe my luck. My local yarn shop does not stock fiber and I haven't found a fiber farm close by so I have been without some fun fiber to spin (big sigh). And, not only does Nomad Yarns have fiber from regular yarn companies (Ashford and Frabjous Fibers) but they stock fiber from local fiber farms, a real gold mine for me.


Sunday I got the opportunity to spin up the Mad Hatter Roving. Don't you just love the name? It was like knitting with Noro - I kept thinking, "Ooo, what comes next, ooo, how is this going to look?" When it was finished I was a little disappointed it ended! Ha! Then the second thought that came into my mind was, "Let's jump into the car and get more!" Ha! ha! Needless to say, the roving was a perfect birthday present to myself! (Yes, can you believe it, I sometimes get birthday presents for myself).

Mad Hatter Roving finished

Some day soon I will be making my way back to Nomad Yarns. Perhaps for a little lengthier visit. But it was definitely worth the short little visit that rainy day last week.



2 comments:

Callie Cox said...

Sounds like a neat store and a fun day!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great birthday!