Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Day - The Picnic















Hello Friends!
Are you enjoying the week in between holidays? I am. I've got all three boys down sick at the moment. Hopefully it stays a "boys only cold." But I thought I would steal a moment in between nursing all my men back to health to tell you about my favorite part of Christmas Day - the Christmas Picnic Tea in the Woods!

Doesn't that sound delightful? Well, to some I'm sure it sounds terribly cold. But our family really enjoys a good gander through the woods and why not on Christmas Day!

We all had our separate Christmas mornings at our own homes, enabling us to go at our own pace and develop family traditions specific to our little families. Then at 2 pm we met up in the delightful parkland that separates our houses, Eagle Creek Park. We are so fortunate to have such a big green/wooded space in our city. Not many cities have such a luxury.

My sister had prepared a simple but decadent lunch feast for us to have in the woods. There was a basket or a bag for most of us to carry, which we did happily. The little people scurried on down the path with that particular energy and zeal that comes on Christmas day. It was so much fun to watch them scurry about.

After a decent walk through the woods we came to a picnic bench with a beautiful view and a little gully with a frozen stream bed. While the grownups spread the table cloth and lit the candles the little ones ran down to the stream and proceeded to bang and bash about  - pretending all sorts of things. We made hot cocoa and tea, munched on hot sausage rolls, gingerbread cookies & mince pies (and homemade marshmallows) chatted, laughed and watched the children play. It was magical and I savored every moment!

I had never before done such an outing on Christmas Day but it was such a nice pause in the day. Time to just enjoy and do something different. Oh, I want to do it every Christmas now!

When we were tired and the children cold we packed up and headed back to the cars for the afternoon and dinner at my house. But we carried a piece of that magical picnic with us.

I do have to mention a funny thing - we met several people in the woods - running, walking their dogs or just walking. We said "Merry Christmas" to each and everyone we came across but only one person smiled and said, "Merry Christmas" back. Isn't that rather odd? Oh, well.

So there you have it! The crazy Winslow sisters have started a new tradition - and boy, was it fun!

Did you start any new traditions this year?

2 comments:

One Acre Follies said...

I'm so inspired!!! What a wonderful idea. Merry Christmas (a little late).

Stephanie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad it wasn't too cold. I'm not sure if we started any new traditions, but this year Emma was old enough to rip wrapping paper and seemed to enjoy that. I appreciate that she took the time to examine each gift. We even left a few things under the tree on the 25th! We personally kept gifts minimal since we knew both sets of grandparents and other family wanted to select something fun for her. Are homemade marshmallows easy to make? Do you or Heather have a recipe to share? Thanks!