Friday, December 20, 2013

The Tree














I love how the years change. Each year brings tradition experienced differently. Do you know what I mean? Take for instance the tree. In years past we JK and I have chosen the tree - walked among the grove of trees or aisle of trees (depending on the year) and come to a joint agreement.

This was the first year we had a very happy and very vocal third person who wanted to choose the Christmas tree - John. As we picked various trees out and looked at them he gave his up or down vote. Finally, he ran to the back of the lot where they were unloading fresh trees that had just arrived from the tree farm and he said, "I want that one." JK and I looked at each other - there was no way of telling what kind of a tree it was because the branches were frozen together. It looked more like a Fraser fir missile then a Fraser fir Christmas tree. But we thought there was a bit of an adventure in not know what our tree truly looked like. So we went with it.

It turned out to be a huge fat jolly tree that takes up so much space we are afraid to have a fire in the fire place for fear of the whole thing going up in smoke!!!!

Then, when it came to trimming the tree, once JK and I had put the tree up and trimmed the tree with lights John felt it was his turn to have tree trimming all to himself. Back off mom and dad - you've had your turn with the lights. It's my turn. So we did - we helped here and there. I helped take the ornaments out of the boxes and JK helped at the tree to ensure the most delicate ornaments actually made it on the tree and of course Grandma offering advice here and there. But we took more of a back seat approach. It was different, amazing and wonderful all at the same time.

But when it came to the tree tray that stayed the same. All of us enjoyed it and participated in it fully! Chocolate peppermint sandwich cookies from JK's side of the family and Scottish shortbread from my side of the family - two traditions coming together to form a new one!


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great Christmas tree adventure. Can you believe we haven't put up ours yet? I've done other decorating, but timing just didn't work out for the tree. This weekend it is! I still have over half the cards to sign and wrapping, but I took Mon off so there is some time then before my parents arrive. If I don't talk to you beforehand, have a very merry Christmas!