As promised here is an update of what we've been doing around here - other than being sick! =)
So grab a cup of tea and your knitting have a little sit down while you watch.
You can also watch the podcast in YouTube
Here are the show notes:
How to dye roving/yarn in the microwave with little kids
Glass pyrex dishes that fit into the microwave
Wilton Cake dyes or other food dyes
Undyed roving or undyed yarn (can be purchased at KnitPicks)
Popsicle sticks or wooden kebab skewers
Dawn dish detergent
1) soak the roving/yarn in water with a pinch of Dawn dish detergent. This opened up the hair follicles in the yarn or roving and preps them to receive the dye.
2) Place roving/yarn into glass pryex dish. 2 cups of water with 2 T of vinegar over the roving/yarn so that the fiber is sitting in water but not completely covered. You may have to put more or less water in your dish depending on how much fiber/yarn you have in the dish.
3) Open your dyes and using your popsicle sticks or kebab skewers dip them into the dye and then "pain" the roving. Remember a little goes a long way. The dye will seem to only stay at the top of the fiber. But when it is heated it will move throughout the dish and saturate the entire fiber.
4) Cover dish loosely with plastic wrap and place in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Continue heating at 2 minute increments until the water in the dish is clear and all the dye has been soaked up into the fiber - 8 to 10 minutes depending on the colors and how much dye was used.
5) take out and allow to cool completely. This is worst part of dying. You want to start pulling it out and see what it looks like. RESIST! Allowing it to cool completely will result in a richer dye as well as prevent felting!
6) when it is cold remove from the dish and rinse in cool water. Hang to dry (or place over a vent to dry).
Sweet Tomato Heel by Cat Borhdi
Mini Bunny Love by Susan B Anderson
Mom's Beads - pattern is 50% off April 15 - 30. Use coupon code: spring14 in the Ravelry checkout
How to make rolags with a dowel
Kimberlolly's podcast of the Leipzig Fiber Fest
Sock Yarn Pram Blanket
I hope you all enjoy!
Join us over in the ClassicCableKnits ravelry group for a chit chat!
joining with ginny and the knit along