Monday, June 16, 2014

My New Dawn


Four years ago I planted this climbing rose - it was a birthday gift to me. I chose it because it was the same climber my mother had at her childhood home on Long Island. Mom would tell us about the heavenly scent of this "New Dawn" variety and how it prolifically climbed the side of their garage. 


Last year it was quite beautiful! I don't think I got a good picture of when it was entirely covered in blooms. But it was breathtaking and the smell.... oh, my, the perfume!



But then we had such a bitter winter. Every single cane became swollen and split. It was heart breaking to cut all the canes back to the root stock but it was the only way to save the rose.


It is growing bravely again. And growing rapidly. But it will be another 2 or 3 years before it reaches the magnificence of last year's blooms. 


But today I did notice the first bloom of the season. Two glorious blooms instead of the hundred or so of last year - but it is blooming! Hooray for the fortitude of nature!



No comments: