Friday, August 29, 2014

Boy Friday: Numbers

John's selfie






John is all about numbers right now and time and the spacial relationship time has. For instance, this was our conversation home yesterday after school:

"Mama, what's 48 + 24?"

I'm driving in the car trying to negotiate the one way streets and unfamiliar traffic patterns of the downtown neighborhood where his school is located. "um... yes.... it's..."

"72. 72, mama. We've gone out to the playground at school 3 times in the last 72 hours," says John.

"Wow, that's great, honey." I respond, trying to wait for the traffic to clear on Capitol so I can turn left and get to the interstate.

"Can I have your phone so that I can time us on the way home." He asks?

With one hand on the steering wheel I reached down to the passenger seat beside me and fumble for my phone. I hand it over and we have near silence the rest of the way home as he concentrates on the numbers.

When we get home he announces the time it took us and then all of a sudden starts counting by twos. I lug all of the gear in to the house along with Arthur and his baby gear ... and the counting by 2s has reached the mid 50s by now. I get out his milk and cookies and set them on the counter knowing not to interrupt his concentration. By the time I'm done setting out his milk and cookies he's reached 100 by 2s.

"Wow! That's great, John! Did you go over counting by 2s in school today?" I ask

"No, mom. I did it. We're learning how to write A today. I know how to write A. We haven't even talked about numbers" John says.

I give him a hug and a kiss. "They will, John, they will."

Poor boy! So if any of you out there have any ideas on what I can do for this little "just newly" 5 year old boy and things I can give him to satisfy his love of numbers, let me know - I'm at my wits end trying to feed his number curiosity!






3 comments:

Heather LeFebvre said...

so cute!!

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! I don't have first-hand experience and my mom has only taught fifth and sixth grade full time, but maybe a trip to the teacher store (I know there's a United Art and Education in Greenwood) could help you find a workbook or such that he could work on at home? Or an online home-schooling resource?

Reneelynn said...

Better look up something for learning on pinterest :) WOW!